September 2, 2006

Done and Done

My first finished pair of socks!



Pattern/yarn: Yankee Knitter Pattern #29 "Classic Socks for the Family", two skeins Berroco Ultra Alpaca. This pattern is particularly handy because it includes instructions for fingering, DK and bulky weight yarn, sized from infants to men's large. You never really need another basic sock pattern.

Next time I would definitely do more calf decreases. These are going to be on the slouchy side with just 4 stitches decreased. And I would replace the pattern's wonky-looking "knit two together through back loop" decrease with a tidier slip-slip-knit. And I'll try Cat Bordhi's suggestions for avoiding squarish edges on kitchenered toes.

Though ultimately the sagging ankles, misplaced decreases, and goofy-looking K2G TBL's don't matter at all. Imperfect as they are, I just adore them.

And because the entire world revolves around my new socks, the weather is appropriately chilly - raw and grey with the promise of rain. A perfect day for wearing fuzzy socks, communing with my stash and picking out my next project!

No comments: