I met my best friend Quinn on our first day of college. Clearly I lucked out big-time in the roommate draw, because I was assigned her as a roommate. As one might expect, this was at the beginning of September, so I'm always especially fond of her at this time of the year.
Which works out well, because it's also her birthday today, for another 5 minutes or so, at least. In honor of her birthday and our (gulp) thirteenth friendiversary, I present just some of the many reasons why I love Quinn. In no particular order, and far from comprehensive.
1. She's smart. Like dazzlingly, intimidatingly smart. And yet she harbors a secret love for reality TV, celebrity gossip, soft rock and poop jokes. And there are few things more charming than a smart chick who digs the poop jokes.
2. She's silly and funny and serious and wise. Sometimes in the space of a single sentence.
3. We share many of the same neuroses, but she's about 4000 times better with the "feelings" thing than I am, so usually she figures a bunch of shit out and I get to reap the benefits of her wisdom. This has worked out awesomely for me.
4. She's so awesome in fact that sometimes, when I feel bad about myself, I remember that someone as awesome as Quinn loves me so I can't really be all that [insert negative adjective of choice here].
5. She understands that bacon is one of the world's perfect foods.
6. She can play the "who's more wankable and why" game like nobody's business. Also, she can play cards with a focus, dedication, and longevity that would break a normal person.
7. She forgave me for that bagel incident in college.
8. Everything seems better and more possible after I've talked it over with her.
9. She always, always calls me on my shit.
10. She makes me laugh. At her stories, at the world, at my own fears and foibles. This is more wonderful than I can even begin to describe.
So happy birthday, pumpkin!
It's been such a pleasure being friends with you for all these years, and I'm thrilled to think of what we'll get up to in the next thirteen years.