December 24, 2006

I do knit...

Just not much these days. I finished the decreases on the experimental sock-in-progress and I'm going to run out of yarn.


At Thanksgiving, I said I was thankful for this craft that constantly surprises me. Now I realize I was just asking for it when I wrote that.

Because the KnitPicks yarn has suprised me by almost running out four inches into the foot. If your feet are my size, that's a lot of foot left to knit.

Now, math has never been my strong point. But the KnitPicks skeins are 231 yards, compared to 215 yards for Lorna's Shepherd's Sock. It seems to me that no matter how bad I am at math, 231 yards is bigger than 215 yards. I knit a pair of socks out of two skeins of Lorna's on size 1 needles (casting on 80 stitches), with enough yarn left over to knit a good two or three inches more. Now I'm knitting using bigger needles (size 2s), fewer stitches (72) and 15 yards more yarn AND I'M GOING TO RUN OUT.

How is that possible???

No comments: