May 20, 2007

Tagged!

I've been tagged for my first meme! By Kristy and Risa.

The rules: Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and need to read your blog.

And now, the facts:

1. I learned to knit at school when I was 9, but stopped knitting when I got to junior high and decided knitting was terminally uncool (trust me - I needed all the help I could get in the cool department). I took a knitting class at my local adult ed center a few years ago and discovered I still totally knew how to knit almost twenty years later.

2. I was raised by hippies. Culturally speaking, this is a lot like being raised by wolves, but with a lot more tofu. So before the age of 10 I had done t’ai chi, aikido, and yoga, helped teach women’s self-defense classes, carded and spun my own yarn with a drop spindle, crocheted (I hated it even then), made my own quill pen, and read the Ramayana, Bhagavad Gitta, the Norse Myths, and the Epic of Gilgamesh. As with the knitting, it took me almost another twenty years to realize just how cool most of those things were.

I say “most of those things” because I still haven’t found it in myself to love the crochet.

3. I have a large collection of religious kitsch, mostly of the Mexican folk variety.

4. Both my parents were ordained as ministers of a small hippie church in southern Oregon when I was in my teens. Think Unitarian Universalist but with a more Buddhist bent and significantly more rockin' music.

5. I once interviewed for a job at a strip club in Prague. In my defense, the job listing in the English language newspaper said “waitresses and hostesses wanted.” Slightly less defensible is how, arriving at the stated address and realizing it was a strip club, I totally went in and interviewed anyway because, well, I’d never been in a strip club before. Plus, there were free drinks and naked ladies. All around, by far the most entertaining job interview I’ve ever had (incidentally, I was indeed offered the job but didn't accept).

6. I own all seven seasons of Buffy on DVD. And I’m not ashamed.

7. I can be shy in person. Even if I know you well, it will take me some time to warm up if I haven’t seen you in a while.

I'm tagging the Daft Crafter, the Craft Pirate, and Deb.

In tagging me for this meme, Kristy also reminded me that new sweater yarn is awesome, but existing sweaters sometimes need some love too. So Wicked has his first sleeve.

Sleeved4

Now how about a Single Sleeve Liberation movement???