June 24, 2008

It's a Christmas miracle!

Squeezing in just under the Six-Months-Late mark, my mom's Christmas socks are finally done! I like to think of this as extending the magic of the holiday season. And holiday magic in the form of socks is just what my mom needs.

She's heading back to Tucson today, where the forecasted high is 103 degrees, so really my timing couldn't possibly be better.

DSCN5871

Pattern: Charade, which has been much celebrated in blogland, as it should be. I will definitely knit these again.

Yarn: Crystal Palace Panda Cotton, Fall Herbs colorway, 2.25 balls for size 10 women's socks. This yarn splits like a bastard, making it possibly the worst choice for a slip-stitch pattern, with an afterthought heel. Also, the yarn has no give while knitting, so it was a little rough on the hands. Well worth it though for the lush, cushy, amazingly soft fabric it produces.

Needles: size 2.5 (3 mm) Knitpicks DPNs

Modifications: because I liked the way the yarn was variegating and am apparently not bright enough to grasp short row heel instructions, I did an afterthought heel instead of a heel flap. Dave over at Criminy Jickets suggested this kind of heel the last time I was bitching about pooly gussets.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results. The afterthought heel looks a little weird off the foot...

DSCN5832

And frankly a little weird on the foot...
DSCN5841

But because you don't increase stitches at the gusset, the yarn patterning doesn't change. And when the yarn looks this good....

DSCN5849

...you don't want to be f*cking with it.

So, um, Merry Christmas, Mom! I'm so glad you came to visit. I had a really great time the past few weeks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so madly in love with those socks! Think mom'll get bored with em any time soon?? ;)

Karen said...

So cute!!! And everyone should have a bit of Christmas in the summer. Hell, I'd love for someone to give me a Christmas present today. :) I think the heel doesn't look weird, on the foot or off.

I'm looking around to see if I can remember what short-row tutorial / tips I've used over the months. When I find 'em, I'll send them along. I do know I just used the Cat Bordi hiding the wrap tutorial from You-Tube.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I was hoping for a phosphorescent baby Jesus with some pink plastic flamingos to keep him company. What a tease!

dogwithbooks said...

This picture makes me long for delicate, thin feet too instead of my short, runty ones.....:)

Sarah said...

Yay! I am glad they were done in time for your Mom to take them home. They came out great. Weren't they worth it? Or not.

Jenny said...

I LOVE those socks! The variegation is really awesome! What a lucky mom! I LOVE Charade... It's a cozy, cozy pattern to wear, too. Your mom will love them on those chilly July Tucson nights!